Are you frustrated because your Debit Card or Credit Card information has been compromised? SO ARE WE!!!! Over the past few years, “fraudsters” have become extremely creative when coming up with ways to steal your information when you use your card. These external “fraudsters” use devices and special software to collect personal data when you use your card and make a transaction. At Ontario Shores Federal Credit Union, if we suspect fraud on your account, you will receive a phone call from our card representatives.
What to expect from Ontario Shores FCU
- Ontario Shores FCU will NEVER call, email or otherwise contact you and ask for your user name, password or other online banking credentials.
- Ontario Shores FCU will NEVER contact you and ask for your credit or debit card number, PIN or 3-digit security code
With regard to Debit/ATM Cards
Our card provider, Elan Financial Services, will identify themselves as Fraud Prevention Services. When speaking to our members, you can expect the following communication:
- “Hi, may I speak with [Your Name]?”
- “My name is [Fraud Analyst Name] with Fraud Prevention Services on behalf of Ontario Shores Federal Credit Union This call is regarding your MasterCard Debit/ATM card with the last four numbers [Last Four Numbers].” “We just wanted to verify recent activity on your account. We wanted to verify that these charges were being made by you and that no one else is using your card/account number.” The Analyst then performs the following actions:
- Cardholder transaction confirmation
- Card blocking or unblocking as appropriate
- Marking fraud transactions as appropriate
- Sending email as appropriate
- Cardholder referral back to institutions for affidavits, reissue, or other actions.
When forced to leave a message:
- “Hi, this is [Fraud Analyst Name] with Fraud Prevention Services on behalf of Ontario Shores Federal Credit Union. “This message is for [Your Name].” “This call is regarding your MasterCard Debit/ATM card with the last four numbers [Last Four Numbers]. It is important that you return this call as soon as possible. We just want to verify some recent activity on your account.”
- “Our toll free number is 800-264-5578. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and any representative can assist you. Once again the toll free number is 800-264-5578.” “If you will be calling from out of the country, our collect number is 701-461-0621.”
With regard to Visa Credit Cards
When speaking to our members, you can expect the following communication:
- Identifies that the call is on behalf of Ontario Shores Federal Credit Union Fraud Service Center
- Confirms if the call recipient is the cardholder [Cardholder Name Spoken].
- If the cardholder is unavailable, a message is played asking that the cardholder return the call, and provides the appropriate toll-free number
- If the cardholder is available, the system verifies their identity by prompting entry of the last four digits of their social security number or tax identification number
- When the cardholder’s identity is confirmed, they are then prompted to confirm the reported transaction(s) as legitimate or suspect by using their telephone keypad to respond. The cardholder is presented up to five transactions if available on the fraud alert. If the cardholder indicates that they do not recognize any of the reported transactions, the call is automatically routed to a Fraud Alert Specialist for further action. If all transactions are acknowledged as legitimate, the call is completed and the fraud alert will be updated appropriately as No Fraud
If the Automated Fraud Alert Management system reaches an answering machine or voicemail system, the following message is left for the cardholder:
- “ This message is for (cardholder name). This is the Fraud Service center on behalf of (institutions name) (Visa/MasterCard) (credit/debit/Atm) card account. We are calling to verify recent activity that has appeared on your account. Please refer to case number (insert assigned case number) when returning our call. Please give us a call at their stated phone number. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Again the telephone number will be repeated. If you are traveling or reside outside Canada or the US, you may call us collect at their stated phone number. Thank you.”
Ultimately, if you notice suspicious account activity or experience security-related events, please contact the credit union immediately at (716) 778-7423.